Presbyterian Homes had its beginnings in 1946 when a committee, appointed by the Synod of Minnesota of the United Presbyterian Church, decided to investigate the matter of a home for the aged in Minnesota. Under the leadership of its chairman, Dr. Edwin Kagin, the committee recommended building a home for older adults. In 1953, Presbyterian Homes of Minnesota was incorporated, with Dr. Irving A. West being elected the first president of its board of directors.
In 1955, the first senior residence was built by Presbyterian Homes of Minnesota, the predecessor of Presbyterian Homes & Services, on 20 acres of donated lakeshore property in Arden Hills.
Today, over 6,300 employees serve over 26,000 older adults through 43 PHS-affiliated senior living communities in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa, and through Optage® the home and community services division of PHS.